Image Illustration
  • Diligentia Group is a boutique investigative firm dedicated to providing law firms, financial institutions and decision makers with comprehensive background investigations, due diligence investigations and legal investigation services.
  • How to Verify Active Duty Military Status

    by Brian Willingham

    Post image for How to Verify Active Duty Military Status

    The question of how to verify active duty military status comes up quite a bit.

    The Department of Defense Servicemenbers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) website provides information relating to active duty active duty status for military members.

    The site is free to the public, provided that you have some basic information regarding the individual.

    In order to search the site, you must provide a social security number, last name, first name and date of birth of the individual.

    Once the request has been processed, the website will provide a SCRA Certificate reporting the active duty status for the individual.

    The report (see example above) will provide that active duty start date, active duty end date and the service position.

    The website will only provide information on active duty military members or members who have left active duty within the past 367 days.

    If you want to verify historical military status, you will have to verify military service through a FOIA Request.

    Note – if you get a certificate warning, don’t worry – I have used the site for quite some time and have never had any issues.

    • 9

    { 4 comments… read them below or add one }

    Dawn September 21, 2013 at 7:40 am

    If one is on Active Duty Status, are there special rules I follow for them in my college class?


    Brian Willingham September 21, 2013 at 7:50 am

    I don’t understand what you are trying to do.


    Roy Kaufmann December 28, 2012 at 8:05 am

    If you have the person’s SSN, the site referenced above is fine, but, if you do not, you should try because it will give you a definitive response, even if you do not have the SSN. If you do not have the SSN, the site referenced above, gives you a big disclaimer (which many courts will not accept) that says something like “this is the information we have in our file, but we can’t guaranty the accuracy without an SSN”.


    private investigator August 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm

    This is some great info about verifying military status.


    Leave a Comment

    Previous post:

    Next post: